Male pattern baldness ( androgenetic alopecia ) is a type of hair loss that affects people assigned male at birth. Male androgenic alopecia is the most common form of hair loss in men, affecting 30-50% of men by age 50. This condition is a hereditary disorder caused by hyperresponse to male hormone called “DHT”. DHT hormone caused minimize the hair follicles only in the front and middle of scalp. The reason of sparring backside baldness due to lack of DHT receptor at backside of scalp. The beginning of hairline recession appear from around 20 years old and continuous recession until baldness occurs.
Severity of Male androgenic alopecia
There are seven stages of androgenic alopecia according to the Hamilton-Norwood scale
Stage 2: There’s slight hair loss near the skin between your ears and forehead (temples).
Stage 3: You have deep hairline recession around your temples, and your hairline may have an “M” or “U” shape.
Stage 4: You have very deep hairline recession and a loss of hair at the top of your head (crown).
Stage 5: Your hairline recession connects to the bald spot on your crown.
Stage 6: The hair between your temples and crown is thinning or gone.
Stage 7: You have no hair on the top of your head and a thin band of hair around the side of your head.
What are the symptoms of male pattern baldness?
Symptoms of male pattern baldness include
- Hair thinning at Frontal or crown.
- Hair shortening cannot grow like normal.
- Continuous Hair falling
- Receding hairline.
- Hair baldness
Treatments of Androgenic alopecia.
- This condition can be treated by DHT blocker medication that FDA approved. The medication will help inhibit the hormone DHT that attacks the hair follicles. Cause the destroy mechanism disappear.
- Apply drugs or take oral medication that help stimulate hair growth.
- Take vitamins that stimulate hair growth and reduce hair loss.
- Use other treatments together to increase treatment efficiency such as scalp injection therapy.
- In the case of pores closed until the bald area occurs, this baldness is indication to undergo hair transplantation.
- In case of baldness stage 6-7 that does not respond to treatment and cannot receive hair transplantation such as poor donor, other choice is wearing a wig or scalp tattoo call scalp micro pigmentation.
Tip from doctor
If you have hereditary baldness in your family especially maternal side and starting to have thinning hair. Don’t ignore it. Doctor recommends you to go to consult your nearest Healthcare for start treatment early as soon as possible. The reason for early treatment is maintaining the condition of the hair to be with you in long term. If you need to get healthy hair as normal all the time, doctor recommend regularly maintenance. If you decide to stop treating, the influence of the genetic will cause your hair fall back and become thinning again. If you decide to refuse treatment at all, the hair will gradually become thinning and baldness finally.